Sunday, February 6, 2011
Central Regions Sunday (Also Super Bowl Sunday)
Karl Massey with a solid start to today with a 5 second PB in 200FR. 2:05.67 was his time and he placed in 13th. Trevor would PB as well and set himself up for a first place entry into finals tonight. Amongst other highlights were:
- Sam Ceci's 1:12.22 in 200FLY (PB by almost 2 seconds). Her light touch showed up as a 1:16 and I had fun making her believe that she actually went 1:16.
- Aaron Brautigam's first time under 27 in 50FR (26.68)
- Kelly Smith placed 22nd in 50FR (31.15) and showed some great surface speed.
- Elizabeth Skuriat's 1500 qualified her for Provincials (return after a painful injury) and Eastern Canadian Championships. Her time of 18:22.62 was only a few seconds off of her all time best. A very gutsy swim.
- Britney Dortona JUST missing provincial cut in 200FR, but making it in 50FR and winning the bronze medal in that event.
- Quinn Jaggard's blisteringly fast 29.20 50FR (21st place overall)
- Nolan Haas placing top 8 in 200FR and dropping 5 and a half seconds in the process.
- Veronica Fong and Brooklyn Shelley facing off head to head in 100BR was exciting. Both swam PBs. Veronica (1:29.91) and Brooklyn (1:30.07) were separated by less than 2 tenths of a second. A great match up and a fun race to watch.
- Colleen Jarv PB in 50FR AND in 200FR (top 20 in both).
- Aysia Leckie PB in 200BK.
- Michael Jans, fresh off of injury/sickness rips 4 seconds from his best 200BK time. A huge victory for him and he showed a lot of heart in the process. Great to have this guy back!
- Clancy Harris' unbelievable walls in her 200BK which allowed for a major PB and a 13th place finish.
- Aurora Zuraw JUST missing provincial cut in 50FR (30.22, cut is 30.08).
- Trevor Burwell winning the Silver in 200FR and becoming the first ever Blue Fin under 2min in 200FR. A very strong swim and (although not technically perfect), still very good in the finish.
**UPDATE: I forgot to mention that Both Sam Ceci and Trevor Burwell broke club records in the races mentioned above. Congrats to you both!
I am very proud of all of our Blue Fins this weekend. Some were triumphant and did what they had set out to do, while some left short of that goal. My hope is that everyone took something valuable away from the experience... after all, the season is only half over and there is another regional championships 4 months down the road.
BTW, great game tonight between the Green Bay Packers and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Although the Green Bay proved to be the winners, the loser of the evening was clearly Axle Rose, who had his song butchered by the Black Eyed Peas (who, for some inexplicable reason, replaced Fergie with E.T., or so it appeared).