Sunday, July 25, 2010

Final day at AGN



I don't think that everyone understands how exhausting a 5 day meet is until they've been through it. I'm not even sure what day it is (kidding, its Sunday) and I am exhausted. I cannot even begin to think how tired our athletes are.

Men were in the East pool again today which, honestly, is a sub par pool. It's much smaller, the blocks aren't as good, it isn't as deep. Very little fast swimming happening there throughout the week, even when the women were in it on Friday and Saturday. Our swims today were strong, but as I said before, a week long meet is exhausting!

Karl lead off in 200IM. Very strong 150 mark but had a hard time holding on at the end. Even still, Karl equaled his best time of 2:26 and had a very good week overall. He finished 39th.

Kyle's 200IM was also a bit of a struggle. Breaststroke was a little off and Kyle added a little over a second to his best. He finished 21st.

Matt Fox's 400FR was deceivingly well done. At first I was puzzled with his splitting, but Matt was the closest to his best time today with only adding 3 tenths of a second. I think Matt handled himself very well this weekend considering that he is one of the youngest athletes here AND the youngest Blue Fin. Matt qualified as a 12 year old in a 13 year old category and that needs to be applauded.

Mitchell's 400FR was faster than he was a provincials AND he held on VERY hard at the end for a solid finish. I was pretty proud of the way Mitchell turned around his week!

The end of meets is always a bit sentimental and sad for me, especially since this marks the official end of the season. I have no idea why I feel sad, especially since I'll be seeing all these athletes in Sudbury at Ontario Summer Games (Kyle is going for Triathlon, the others are going to swim). I guess when I think about it, I am just so proud of what we have achieved as a team in the past 2 years that I have been at the helm. We have come a LONG way from the 46 member club I joined in 2004.

Most of you will be interested to know that I have signed on for 2 more seasons as head coach of HHBF (at least I hope that you will be interested to know...). Changes to what we do and how we do them are inevitable, but trust that they are all for the betterment of HHBF and the development of all its pieces.

The past 2 years have been some of the most fulfilling I have had. Lets continue on in our quest for excellence.


Mike Thompson
Head Coach
HHBF